Why Katy's Barking Gecko ?!

I love to travel, I love to cook and to try new recipes...

After returning from yet another trip to South Africa I browsed one of my Food Magazin subscriptions and

we started to envision how it might be to have a small, a very small restaurant. Somewhere in Australia or

South Africa.
Maybe 4 or 5 tables.
To be in the kitchen wearing t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops cooking for fun and nice people....

Doesn't that sound great ?!
We even came up with a name: Katy's Barking Gecko

Well there is no restaurant (so far....), but heaps of favourite recipes.

Monday, June 9, 2014

Mrs BALLS CHUTNEY

I discovered all too often, that I am not the only one that simply loves Mrs Balls Chutney, but who also have troubles to find the stuff for a decent price....
Someone told me that she is making her own Mrs Balls using their original recipe.
So I had a look and indeed found the original recipe shared on their own Homepage!


Edward Ball, Mrs. Ball’s grandson scaled down this original recipe to make 18 bottles of (mild) chutney.

612 g dried peaches
238 g dried apricots
3 litres brown wine vinegar
2 1/2 kg white sugar
500 g onions
12 g salt
7 g cayenne pepper
1 to 2 litres of brown wine vinegar for soaking
About 2 litres of brown wine vinegar for mixing


The fruit should be left in the soaking vinegar overnight, then cooked in the same vinegar until soft. Drain. 
Put the fruit through a mill. 
Add the sugar (dissolved) and onions (minced) and cook in a pot with the brown wine vinegar. 
The amount of vinegar depends on the consistency: it should not be too runny or too thick, but have the same consistency as the end product you find in the bottle. 
Add spices and cook for one to two hours. 
Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon to prevent burning. 
Sterilise your bottles and spoon in the mixture. 

That's it - you've got Mrs Ball's Chutney.

I will definitely give it a try.....
This will make a great gift for some of my friends who are in love with South  Africa as well!!!
 


4 comments:

  1. Can one substitute brown malt vinegar instead? Where I live brown wine vinegar is not available anywhere. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have made this recipe dozens of times - we use a mix of Aspall's red wine and white wine vinegar (the 350 ml bottles - 4-6 red and 1-2 whites). I'm sure you could use other wine vinegar but I think a malt vinegars may be the wrong flavour. I don't know

    Note the cayenne pepper is FAR too much - we made that mistake the first time and since then cut it right back to about a tenth. Try it and see - you can always add more

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also wanting to try this recipe but cant find brown wine vinegar even here in South Africa where Mrs Balls originated. So I'll try the mixture of red and white wine ones - thanjs!

    ReplyDelete